Pages

2007/03/12

ゲーム: 女神転生IMAGINE

Also Known As: Megaten, Megami Tensei Online

Yeah, the game I was kinda cursing just about 4 hours ago. Being the slightly desperate genius(lies) I am, I easily got rid of the problem and started on the game. Well, my friend who recommended this game said it had a nice battle system, so why not. I figured I'd probably do something about the capturing monsters part of the game eventually too (by "do something" i really mean "totally ignore").

I'd say, first of all, that this game is too heavy on system requirements. And no it's most likely not because my computer is a pussy. This computer has handled two different fully 3D games already, without any noticable lag at all. Well, when too many players come online I lag like nuts, but that's fair enough right.
On IMAGINE though, right from the start the game was lagging all the time already. Doesn't really help that the game's battle system requires a bit of timing (combo systems and the like) either. Think of it as somewhat like Phantasy Star Online's battle system, except a lot slower, a lot limited and a lot more boring.

So I started off the game by creating my character, who I have absent-mindedly forgotten to take a picture of but who cares. I'll say the initial character customization was rather good, with a total of 10 hair-styles to choose from, 6 facial expressions, 2 different tops with 3 color variations each, same for bottoms, and 2 different shoes with 2 color variations each too. You get to choose from three weapons at the start, but I got bored out too quickly to even try out the other two. They're machete, knife and sledge hammer, and I chose the first one hoping for a balance.
Personally, the style of IMAGINE was rather distasteful to me. It wasn't really cute, like Trickster or Pangya, nor was it real-like like CABAL Online or Granado Espada. It was more... creepy. If I'd to compare, it probably resembles the upcoming Persona 3.

So I went through all the tutorials at the start, which began with some intro movie thing that I couldn't skip. Unskippablity is always bad.
As mentioned before, the battle system resembles PSO slightly, in that your basic attack style consists of hitting the Attack button NOT in timing, but rather just spam it until 3 hits come out. You have a Guard that allows you to block enemy attacks and open them up for a counterattack, and a Rush that breaks their own Guard. The three basic skills used in the tutorial. Magic was also taught, but it's standard. Click on a target, choose the spell, and watch it blow off.
Now, add to all the above lots of slowness, and you have the basic battle system.

Moving to the town, it's some huge underground shelter area called 3rd Home. Which is too plain and boring too. Moving to the fields, I begin capturing my first monster. Which involves using a Talk skill repeatedly on the monsters you see until they either ignore you, disappear, or become your friend. After trying that on countless monsters, I gave up and started slaughtering all the ones I saw around, and got shouted at by one of the Japanese people there when I accidentally murdered his half-persuaded monster. Tough luck.
The battle system got too boring so I bailed out and immediately uninstalled the game.

In short, don't play this. It's slow, it's boring, it's got a too complicated skill system (the Skills window alone shows up to 20 different schools of skills), the battle system is far too lacking and button-masher happy, and the game overall is too high on system requirements. No comments about sounds because for some reason I didn't really hear any BGM songs at all. Probably got too distracted with the suckiness of this game.



And that's it for my first game review. I'd actually put a rating system of sorts and proper explanations on each part of the game, but I figured it''d suffice to ask people to just stay away from this horrid game altogether. Seriously. It's even worst that Maple Story. At least that one had platforming traits (about the only thing i liked about MS) and was fast-paced. Plus cute.

Oh well. Back to stalking Yogurting fansites, stalking proxy lists and staring at the Yogurting sign-in screen.


Now Playing: Always by Shinji, Yogurting Image Theme

No comments: